View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Maestro: if you read books on how an engine really works you will quickly see that how you explained why a "less restrictive intake" is good, why it doesn't really work that way, it would if the air was moving at a constant rate, but it's not so it does not fallow the same rules, the formulas that are out there hold true for people who are tuning for speed and for people who are tuning for peek mileage, why do they work for both? because they take in to account engine speed, an example of this being used in a car is the civic vx, the intake on the 1.5L engine that gets better mileage is smaller around then the intake on the regular 1.5L engine, leave the rest of the engine alone and just swap out the intake for a like intake from the "standard" engine that puts out slightly more HP at near red line and you will see your MPG drop.
Again, the formulas for figuring out your ideal intake and exhaust size have been figured out, tested and published.
I suspect to much time has passed for me to look at what books I've ordered from the library to tell you exactly what SAE books I got the information from, but it is out there and accessible to the public.