View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Otto
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Yeah,that would be my take on it.I suspect that they made the best of a bad situation without altering the Volvo's front end.Cheap and quick!
Volvo's more modern designs are getting the organic shapes and Cds will reflect that.
The semicircular airdam might require more of a vertical,guillotine type motion rather than a simple hinged/swinging motion in order not to bind during articulation unless the hinge is way rearward,close to the tire face.
I was thinking a semicircular air dam hinged at the back corners near the tires would work pretty good, and fair the tires, too, a kind of Coroplast bandana under the chin of the car.

Speaking of Coroplast, since it's hollow, you could use thin strips of wood, dowel rods, or carbon fiber fishing pole segments and slip them into the hollow flutes as stiffeners.

My bro has a Volvo wagon, great highway mileage even loaded with heavy stuff, but looks like an animal cracker box with wheels. Some sculpted foam at the nose could easily fix that, maybe a Coroplast undertray too.

What was Volvo thinking when they made so many boxy cars? If they just took one out on a windless, snowy day, and turned it nose-up vertical, the snow would accumulate in a shape much more aerodynamic.