View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #44 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhillz View Post
I re-read what i wrote and it does come off wrong. What I meant was per motor. Each motor has a specific filter which they code for you. They are all the same size and the amount they hold is very very close.
That's a little better, but it's still not entirely accurate. Just because an engine was spec'd for a certain filter size/shape/etc doesn't mean others won't fit, even ones spec'd for different manufacturers.

For example, the 2.4L engine in my old Caravan used a very small filter, of which I'm not sure the part number. However, there was nothing keeping me from using either the filter that is supposed to go to an SRT-4 (same engine, different car), which has twice the capacity, or an even larger filter from Ford's small block lineup, the Motorcraft FL1A, which is billed as one of the largest filters on the market for basic application, and can hold something like .65qt of oil, compared to the one spec'd for the 2.4 Caravan, which only holds close to .25qt on it's own.

The actual filter cartridge diameter doesn't matter. If it fits in the space, and the gasket lines up like it should, you won't have a problem using it. Just because a filter is physically twice as large as your existing filter doesn't mean you can't use it. Compare the locations of the gasket ring (which can be done by putting the ring from one filter onto another one. If it fits, you're good to go.)