View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
hypergolics and hypermiling

hypergolic: spontaneous combustion with two chemicals, no ignition.

I have to remind myself this time of year, working with old steel, welding, body chemicals etc...and a lean burn engine.

last year I was drilling a broken gas bolt tank, not even a stressful chore for the bit... and it happened. like two sticks rubbing together I witnessed a chain reaction....

as engines get tighter into the hypermiling.. be very careful, its like hyper sensitive waiting for the the hypergolic chance...rare.. but possible.

ethanoled fuels, mixing with bad pcv is about as crazy as a normal car gets.. but there is other mysteries.

the other stuff I encountered is when I flash fired red oxide looking stuff with a mig welder, did not expect that...hidden in a body channel that never saw light for 2 decades.

Today, I decided to smooth out some body filler work I slapped on last year.. I noticed after a year the bondo did not dry, came right off under the paint.. so upon scraping it all down and redoing it correct...the engine started differently.. bizarre. What does incorrect bondo under paint on a body panel have to do with engine runtime?

making it seem too simple.. is not a good idea.