View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #47 (permalink)
groar
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
CoastDownTesting of the minitail

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
so here is the mini tail [...]
Built the left one today, as well as the left front wheel deflector. Here is megane from the rear :

And tried some CoastDownTesting from 110 to 80 km/h (68 to 50 mph). As I didn't found the perfect flat straight road, I used one near home. The 1st run was with the minitail, while the 2nd was without it.
I traveled around 20 km (12 mi) before to heat the drive train a minimum. Even if this distance isn't enough (iirc 30 km (20 mi) is better), I hoped the improvement between 1st and 2nd run from the better heated drive train wouldn't erase the un-improvement of disappearing minitail.

I got my notebook and an USB GPS to record the coordinates.

As every time I get the car with new mods, I feel it more powerful, but weather has been much more hot during last days compared to last weeks. On several parts of the heating travel I found the car coasting longer. At two FAS I have been able to wait longer before bump start and on both cases I passed the usual bump start line with 2 more km/h (1-1.5 mph).

I don't have yet look at the results because it takes time to calculate the different times... I can say that :
  • the east-ward coasting have been much more disturbed than west-ward ones and I don't know if I will have conclusive east-ward data.
  • during all west-ward coasting with the minitail I passed the 80km/h after I got into the exit, while without the minitail I passed this speed before the exit line. IIRC the length difference was around 2-3 seconds (55 m = 180 feet).

Hope I'll be able to sort data soon and they will be consistent to show how much improvement the minitail permits.

Denis.

During the heating travel and the test I got even more abnormal behavior from cars passing me... I do have to free time to paint all the addons that are visible from rear.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.

Last edited by groar; 05-27-2010 at 03:33 PM..