View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #113 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The '92 5.0 4x4 I just bought has a ZF S5-4x trans in it. That's coming out, it's going to end up in Gerald. The 5.72 1st gear will def help out when I need to pull stuff.

The power steering pump is hopefully getting replaced with an air compressor with electric clutch (eventually) and the rear tank area is charted for a manifold and 4x20lb propane cylinders for compressed air storage.

During the inspection, I had the mechanic tack weld the joints in the exhaust. There is an 18" Thrush Turbo muffler replacing the OE muffler, and the OE tail section turns out from it right in front of the forward leaf spring hanger on the pass side.

I'm going to bypass the RABS (rear ABS) solenoid, as well. It's messing up intermittently, making the brakes hit or miss while traveling. Not a safe condition if you're not familiar with the issue, especially while towing.

Still trying to determine if this truck ends up with 8 or 10 lug axles, or remains as-is in that respect. I'm seriously thinking I'd rather use a cut back van chassis for a heavy duty hauler than the truck chassis, and just continue using my truck as I do currently.

Still haven't replaced the front wheel bearings, but I'm seriously just considering swapping the whole front hub assemblies from the '92 over, even though the '92 has auto locking hubs. I suppose I can deal with it, though. I doubt my mileage will get worse with good bearings in there, no matter what hubs are on it.

So far, I'm averaging 17.5 for the last couple tanks. Need an upper intake gasket, I'm showing a bank 1 lean code (I didn't replace the gasket, I just put silicone on it and reinstalled the upper manifold when I replaced the injectors. The silicone is leaking vacuum.)

A member here sent me a turbo awhile back that came off a 6.6L Duramax Chevy... I'm thinking seriously about fitting it to Gerald. Since Gerald's engine is a low-compression (8.8:1) low-rev engine, I don't know if the turbo will actually spool. I'm going to have to look at flow maps for the engine to make sure, then decide. I may end up getting a much smaller turbo that will spool in my upper torque curve.

Last edited by Christ; 05-25-2010 at 02:16 AM..