View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Hmmmm....where to start? '97 Ranger

Hello everyone,

I just found this site and had to sign up. I have always been interested in EV's but want to make my ICE truck as efficient as possible. Not being much of a mechanic (more of a thinker) I can't really give you any technical information unless you can give me a place to find out exactly what I have. I assume there is some place that my VIN would give me that info but not having the owners manual I am at a loss. This truck is going to be my "test platform" as I drive it 120mi round trip to work everyday along the same route at the same speeds. I can vary the route to be a mix of city and highway or 90% highway but the distance won't differ more than 5 miles each way. I think this will give me two different situations to examine but will give me a "constant" to base my results from. The EV site I frequent has "Build Threads" do you have something similar here? I would love to "document" the changes and increases/decreases of this project and have the input of the regulars here as I go along. To give you an idea of where I am starting at here are some general "specs" on my truck.

1997 Ford Ranger short bed/stepside (Splash?)
5 speed manual trans. (seems the original shift knob had overdrive symbol?)
4 cyl. engine (was told it was from a Mazda? Does have 8 spark plugs)
Rear diff. not a clue. Probably whatever it came with from the factory.
225/70R/14 tires on factory alum. rims with domed center cap
Approx. 2750 lb. - 3000 lb. (Someday I'll get it to a scale for a better weight)
171,000 miles

No body mods what-so-ever. Only driver mods. (I drive with a light foot)
Standard fluids (oil,trans,diff) and I usually run 93 octane in it.
No bed cover or truck cap. Standard tailgate usually up.
3/60 air conditioning (3 windows open at 60mph) Has A/C but I don't use it.

Consistantly getting 27-30 MPG depending on how much in town driving I have to do. I set the trip odometer after each fill up and do the math. It's not exact, as I could have 1/4-1/2 gallon in there somewhere, but I don't like running out of gas. The best I have seen was 31-32 MPG but that was driving 90% interstate daily for work with very little wind in the mornings and a good tailwind on the way home. The engine has never been rebuilt as far as I know, but I am the second owner. Doesn't burn a drop of oil.

If there is a "Build Thread" area I would gladly start one and add what ever "before" pictures you all would like to see to start.

I hope this is the beginning of a great adventure.

Thanks to everyone here,
Hat_man