View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #117 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
I agree that turbo > supercharger, especially for FE. As far as the OBDI vs OBDII thing, does your truck use a MAP sensor or a MAF sensor? If it's MAP, a different sensor, bigger injectors and computer tuning will be needed. If it's MAF, bigger injectors will be needed, but it can adjust itself for mild amounts of boost (probably up to 3-5 psi).w Just make sure you put the MAF sensor before the turbo. I'd check with a Ford performance forum to confirm the details.
I forgot that I have a MAF - thank you!

I won't have to convert because of that, and solely that. I shouldn't have to increase injectors, either, because I never rev past 3500 RPM. If I need injectors, the fix is OE injectors from a Ford V8 (302/351) with an adjustable FPR. The issue with this is that heat from the manifold can vapor lock the injectors with lower pressure required for the larger injectors. It shouldn't be an issue, though. I can shield the injectors from the heat, for the most part, if it even comes down to that.

I'll probably keep the MAF in the stock location, near the driver's side inner fender attached to the airbox (which I'll also leave in the stock location.)

If I'm going to boost, it's important that I ensure as little restriction as possible ahead of the turbo to allow the fastest spool with as little energy loss as possible.

I'm looking into this for sure. As with everything else, it'll be a project on time, because that, of course, is my most limited resource, second only to money.

I'm going to have to set some kind of boost limiting, though. The Garrett turbo that I have is capable of like 20PSI... I'm not sure I can handle that much boost just yet, especially without fuel upgrades.

For the time being, I'm going to be running without an intercooler, as well. At 8.8:1 compression and low RPMs, I should have no problem handling it.