View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
atomicradish
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
My Celebrity has done the exact same thing since I bought it 7 years ago. Not as severe as yours, it only does it when the engine is stone cold and for the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Changing fuel tank/pump/filter didn't make a difference. Multiple spark plug/wire changes, crank sensor/ignition module replacement no difference. O2 sensor no difference. Alternator made no difference. Swap from 2.8 to 3.1 engine made no difference. Never any codes either. A coworker hooked it up to a realtime scanner and the good "128" number was about where it ran. I wasn't going to throw dollars at it trying to solve it (everything I replaced needed replacing anyway, and the 2.8 engine lost a head gasket when the radiator let out), so I just got used to dealing with it and it's just second nature now. But it never went away. All I can figure is it must be some sensor, or maybe even the ECM. I've got a hunch it might be the IAC, but unless I stumble across a free spare, I won't worry about it.

Edit: That reminds me, multiple bottles of Chevron Techron, plus this redline stuff. Also seafoam, and GM Top Engine Cleaner. Also changed the injectors with a newer used set. Tried a different TPS too once.

Would be nice to know what it is if you ever figure it out.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I have a pretty limited knowledge of cars (i'm just a college student right now) so there's no way I could even test all of the things you did. I had a hunch that it could be any of the things you mentioned, but that's a little discouraging lol. I really hate this car. It only has 106k miles, and I just spent $400 at the repair shop having the heater core bypassed and exhaust welded back together. This was only about 1,500 miles ago. How the heater core was broken and the exhaust busted, neither me nor my mechanic could figure out. The starter solenoid was going bad on it, so I attempted to bump start it and it backfired and somehow a starter solenoid turns into hundreds in repairs. Now this with the cold starts.

I don't recall anyone having one of these cars when I used to post here more frequently. Anyone know how durable these cars are? It has great paint, no scratches or dents, and a great interior, but I have read only scathing reviews of these cars online, I have considered trading it in on a similar model Civic but those would still cost about 1 grand after trade in, AND I would be looking at a car with 140k miles or so. I've thought about just driving it until it dies, but considering the KBB of it, and what I have read online, it sounds too expensive to maintain this car until it truly "dies". Can you guys give me some feedback/insight?