View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Phantom
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
First things first replace the fuel filter I would go with an acdelco one since one of the other brands has had lots issues with mileage and clogging issues (I will try and find the article).

Next if you still have the issue disconnect the MAF it should be the first electrical connector on throttle body it will have 3 wires. Start the car and see if it runs the same (the car might take a second or so to start when you do this also it might set the check engine light). If there is no change or it runs better remove the MAF and clean the little wires in the MAF with electrical contact cleaner just make sure not to bend or damage the little wires or you will need to buy a new MAF.

Being a 98 chances are the O2 sensor is lazy or bad replace this. Your car should have two of them you only need to replace the one that is pre-catalytic converter.

Actually I would check the MAF first since if cleaning it works this would be the cheapest then do both the O2 and fuel filter at the same time so you will not have to have work done twice.

Can you explain "The starter solenoid was going bad on it, so I attempted to bump start it"?

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG