View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oer Al
EcoModding Lurker

Wrench, chain, strap, tree -> lambda sensor removed

I just removed the front lambda sensor in my wife's 2003 Skoda Octavia 1U 1.6mpi w/BFQ engine. The sensor sits between the firewall and the engine and is not in an easy position. The special deep socket just slipped so that was unusable, even after thorough heating using a propane blow torch. I solved the problem using a block wrench attached to a motorcycle chain and a 2 ton ratchet strap tied to a tree. I attached the block wrench to the sensor, pointing downwards with the motorcycle chain attached to it. That chain was pulled through the suspension bits so that the end stuck out in front of the front wheel. I attached the ratchet strap to the chain, tensioned it by hand and started ratcheting. After three pulls on the ratchet the sensor came loose without any damage to the thread. This was the original sensor on a car which has done just shy of 170.000 km.

If the sensor had not come off just by pulling it using the strap I would have started hammering it lightly while under tension. As the thing gave up before that was necessary I don't know if it would have done the trick but I guess it would, I've used that trick on other stuck fasteners.