View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
atomicradish
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
Yes. The car no longer could start by ignition because the starter solenoid had went bad. I parked it on a hill, and attempted to coast it off the hill to get it started. This worked several times when I did not have the time/means to get the car into the shop. Then, I attempted to bump start it to no avail. The engine would not turn over at 10 - 15 mph in 2nd gear. At that point, I attempted to crank it a few times more (this time by key), and the starter managed to weakly turn it over. By this point, whatever caused the exhaust manifold to break must have happened, because I could hear it (sounded like the muffler was gone). I then attempted to at least drive the car back into its parking space. At this point it backfired very loudly and died.

The best my mechanic could figure out is that when the exhaust manifold broke, it cracked the cheap plastic heater core, causing it to leak everywhere. What caused the backfire and the manifold breaking, and everything else, I have no idea. I had a rebuilt starter put on it at that point, and that starter died within 3 days. After that I got another starter put on it (i bought the delco brand, it was the most expensive aside from the OEM starter) which is still working, but now this new problem is coming up. I have no idea if they are related, but perhaps so?