View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
blownb310
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
That looks like a really impressive expo, with lots more EVs than we had at the GGP.

That F150 DIY hybrid is really cool. If it can do regenerative braking, too, then it would save loads of fuel in the hands of a semi-aware ecodriver. There's been lots of talk around EcoModder about DIY hybrids, and this is a great example. Does the truck have a web site?
Hello Matt,

I sent Jonathan a note asking him if he knows of any further info on the F150 hybrid.

As a follow up, here were Jonathan's words at the conclusion of the event:

Final standings in each class and category haven't been published, but some impressive numbers were realized.

The electric Saab 96 did 98 laps of the one mile track on one charge. That car had been finished just a few weeks earlier. The green VW pick-up went 100 laps, only because the Saab was still running and the VW driver didn't want to drop out first. Both were personal distance bests, as were distances from the VW Vanagon and the three wheeled Electric Lorax (nee 2CV).
The Saab managed that distance on the equivalent energy of a gallon of gasoline, the VW truck used a bit more in it's bigger capacity battery pack.

Mine was a bit disappointing. A number of 58 mpg equivalent (based on BTU content of energy consumed compared to BTU content of gasoline) was mentioned, but that was derived from a complex formula based on fuel weight, BTU content measurement results per pound, fuel specific gravity, and such. When the numbers are re-checked and final standings are issued, I'll inquire as to the number of gallons.
I also had managed to knock the alignment out, apparently during the autocross, and didn't discover the toe and camber change until completion of the long fuel economy run.

Oh, well... there's always the next event.....