View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In an auto transmission of the older general types (not CVTs, 8 speeds, transmissions that learn the way you drive, etc.), you want to find the minimum speed for an up shift first. Then find the greatest amount of throttle position you can give it without delaying the up shift.

I find that normal acceleration of traffic (at least around here) is pretty good. Your driving tactic in any auto transmission is to get into the highest gear the quickest, as a general rule.

Also try to minimise downshifting if you find you need to accelerate.

If you live where there are some grades, that are not too steep, you can pulse slightly up the grade and then semi coast down the grade and possibly improve your mileage.

The wife's Rogue and my Insight both have CVTs and they are different. The Rogue will accelerate up to 45 MPH at 1400 RPM without the RPM changing. The Insight can go from one stop to another with very little average MPG loss if you accelerate gradually and use regenerate about twice as long as it took you to get to speed.

DFCO is also a good tactic in an auto, if you have to stop. I find much of the art of getting good mileage consists of taking a lot of time to come to a stop. Of course avoiding stopping altogether is better, but with 46 traffic lights on my daily route you will always get nailed by a few of them.

One stretch of 4 miles on my route is about a light every .3 mile. If you do not average 47 MPH the lights will get you, even though the speed limit is 45. Go 45 and you will hit 8of the twelve lights yellow, until you catch one of them and then you start off at the beginning of the light timing window.

I don't use EOC in my cars. It could get better mileage possibly, but in the VX you are better to just use lean burn and stay in 5th gear at any speed over 30 MPH. I will coast down any grade that allows me to idle at 450 RPM and about .125 gallons fuel per hour. Coasting in the VX means your are getting 8 times the speedo reading in fuel mileage. EOC kills the lean burn feature for about 30 seconds after a restart.

I could probably get better mileage with EOC and no lean burn, but my average speeds are usually close to 40 MPH or higher.

regards
Mech