View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
PowerHaus930
EcoModding Lurker

95 SL1 5spd - '95 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.18 mpg (US)
Turtle 1995 Saturn SL1 the quest begins...

Hi everyone my name is Jason. On May 11th, 2010 I purchased a 1995 Saturn SL1 5speed. It had 85,500 miles on it and it came with such ammenities as manual steering and a torquey little 1.9L 100 HP engine. At first I thought but now i'm like . My first tank mpg was 32.4 and i was like hmmmm thats the best mpg i have ever gotten in a car (past cars were 6 cylinders). After i found this site I have been going all out on trying to get better MPG with my car. My first mod was to put the tire pressure up higher to 36 and then eventually 39 psi. My next mod was an engine cut off switch that i installed on the shifter of my car. The only other modification i have done to the car is a HAI and right now its sitting at about 75-80 degrees above ambient temperatures. With these mods and driving style changes of course i went from 32.4mpg all the way to best mpg of 42.51. I never thought gas mileage like that was possible on a regular 4 cylinder car. I plan on continuing my modifications with the addition of a vacuum gauge, an MPGuino, maybe experiment with a grill block and a bellypan and i hope to get a set of smooth wheel covers soon (not just for MPG but for that BLING factor ya know?). I have found ALOT of useful information on this site and just wanted to thank all of you. The quest has just begun...