View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #80 (permalink)
joemann
EcoModding Lurker

Daniel, That's kinda what I had in mind. All the words about bondo and poly, etc., are great for the super slick pro look, but just need something functional to keep the weather off cargo. I was thinking just one hard tonneau top, light enough to hinge up against the cab when open. I was thinking of getting some 1x4 pine and cutting a slight curve in it to promote rain water drainage, then potting it 16" on center and covering it with the lightest weight ply, topping that with glue down plastic available from Home Depot or Lowe's for about $30 per sheet in the panelling section of the store(s). I have an 8' long bed (new Chevy Silverado work truck), so i would need two sheets, place one full sheet in the center and cut two side sheets for the 4' wide one to overlap down each side to make up the difference the 4-footer doesn't cover. Then prime and high gloss enamel spray it to match the truck. I'd like to be strong enough to support walking on it but that may make it too heavy a plywood issue and i don't foresee needing to walk on it except to parades during new orleans mardi gras season when you want a high perch behind the roadside crowds. anyone have any thoughts on this construction? i'd like to lock the booger at the tailgate but tailgate has no lock, so go figure. it won't be as pretty as bondo/fiberglass job, but i'd prefer to avoid that stuff. looks aren't THAT important to us older dudes (especially if u got a sportscar u drive for all other occasions when only cargo is -- hopefully -- a woman).