View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I agree with the 1st statement and the last one but the middle one is not true in my experience.

The places around here willing to sell used batteries or exchange do so at a great profit rate (for them)

I wish I could find one that would sell the cores at the actual rate per pound instead of for profit above and beyond.
I think I was very fortunate. The majority of my batteries I get from a boat place. He is perfectly happy to sell me his cores for the same price that the battery company gives him, which is $7. But I think I called and went to talk to about 20 places before I found him. In general, the cores he has are the larger group 27,29, and 31 and a few are group 24's. The recycler pays $7 for car starting batteries and group 24's, and $10 for the larger batteries such as the ones the boat place sells me. The local Napa Auto and farm supply store will let me exchange cores. I take the smaller group 24 batteries from the boat place and exchange it for larger batteries at Napa and the farm store. Granted, it's not much-but I'm only in it for useable batteries for my EV. One avenue I haven't tried is RV places. I bet they would be a good source.