View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
pgmomni
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
LRR is important...

Its real easy to lose 1-2mpg when buying new "sticky" tires.

I totally agree with the post regarding wet traction. In my 30+ yrs of driving most of my accidents, especially in my younger days, happened in the rain or snow. Dry traction isn't really a issue unless your racing.

Take a look at the Yokohama Avid Touring tires. Inexpensive, good wet traction and decently good rolling resistance. Good LRR if you over inflate into the 40's up to limit of 51 lbs. I am currently riding on 45lbs front, 40lbs back. The tires only bulge slightly and with the 45/40 setup they bulge the same front and back. They are 6.3% oversized. Stock was 195/70-14, using 205/70-15's. Lowered my RPM's almost 200 rpm at 75 mph.
Wheel/tire setup is slightly heavier but it dont feel it with the 5 speed manual tranny.
As for added wear and tear and drive train, its a 2000 Camry and virtually indestructible.
I figure the added wear on tranny and axles is easily offset by the reduction in rpms/engine life. I do like 95% interstate driving and hyper mile all my local driving anyway.

Gained a whole inch of ground clearance on the Camry. I can drive right over most normal sized curbs now if i need too!

Added hieght makes my need for underbelly pan and front air dam even more important to get done. "I need more time C'ptain,"

Mounted them tires myself with a crowbar and Stanley Wonder Bar.
Need to get someone to edit the video clips doing it.

Pete