View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #304 (permalink)
cons
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPGUS View Post
Email me the pics and I will host them for you and send you the link.
Sure, what's your email?

For Bondo, thanks for the inspiration. It's fun spreading that inspiration to folks interested in efficiency too and don't realize the potential behind ecomodding. You know, I think one of the best things about my design is how it extends past the tailgate and does't have a rounded corner, to make the air cut-off better. After some more testing for the things mentioned above, I want to extend a similar thing around the entire back (sides and bumper) to cut off the air better there too. That video on the Volt on this website shows how the tiniest adjustment in the back makes a huge difference on air detachment and thus mpg. Another video on this website shows a truck with a lid and you see some air circling from the bottom, to the tailgate, to even the top of the lid. I think by extending the lid out, you're not allowing that air to circulate above the lid. I wish I had a wind tunnel, too much theorizing and testing takes forever!

Good luck on the project Bondo. I can't wait to run into somebody else with a lid like ours.