View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
smaridge01
Looking for a new way

The Black Beast - '00 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT

The Silver Sipper - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Yep, it probably will make you feel pure. And you won't need to dirty your hands with any nasty, smelly gasoline. Some feel good about being part of a progressive movement.
I don't so much care if I am part of a progressive movement... I just want off the oil. Not sure what you meant by the 'nasty, smelly gasoline' comment. I used to love working on cars, and gas engines... but times change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
But what do you think the power plants that deliver your electricity run on? (Hint: your electrical power is probably not made with the alternatives you mentioned. But since you don't see how it is produced, the electrical power that is delivered to you looks clean and pure.)
Don't kid yourself that I don't know that the electricity I get is made with oil, coal, and so on. But if you look past the immediate thoughts that pop into your head, you can find out that the electricity from the grid is created more efficiently than the power that comes from burning gasoline to run your car. So no, the power that comes from the grid does not look at all clean and pure to me. I spent three years living off the power grid, and still couldn't get away from oil.

That's why I said we have the 'opportunity' to use renewable sources, not that we would be. And hey, then we can get into a whole new discussion about the invested energy used to produce the new technologies. And then we can talk about the toxic crap in batteries, and it goes on and on. So we have to start somewhere, eh?

The Black Beast:
Dodge Ram 2500, Gasoline V10, 4X4, Auto
Best MPG recently was 9.8 since improving driving habits; 8.3 before that.
Resigned to hauling only, now that I secured the Prius.