View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
s2man
I"m not lurking!

Porthos - '96 Chevrolet Cavalier
90 day: 31.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Three is probably good enough and what I have the dummy signal generator doing above. The other value was the elapsed time according to the freeduino, but in thinking about it we probably don't need it.
I gotcha. We're just using different terms for the same data. Elapsed time is no problem. millis() rolls over about every 9 hours, but I doubt anyone will drive more than 9hrs straight.

Quote:
Can we use the above output format?
Sure we can.

Quote:
Is there a way to just use one timer to figure out when a second has passed?
Yep, [delete, delete, see below]

Quote:
I.e. borrow the code from millis() and see if we can make a micros() function? I can look into that if you like.

My understanding is that external interrupts are handled by specific functions, not necessarily timers.
Ah, yes. Good thought. That would free up a timer, but would be less accurate. +-1ms out of one second is minimal, but +-1ms error out of the injector pulse could be major. That's why I suggested the 16bit timer for the injector pulse width. micros() would be better than millis(), but isn't that why we've got the timers? Perhaps we should use a timer on the injector pulse width, and code the one-second timer and/or the VSS counter. Or, we could the timer/counters now for expediency, and code our own later if we need to free them up. Hmm, lot's of solutions.

Your code sketch lays things out pretty well. I think we should put the Injector pulse width in an array, then average the array before sending it to the Palm. Nevermind. I see you're totaling the microseconds.

I'm working a river clean up this weekend, so I'll be offline. No coding or testing But I'll be camping and boating