View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
If the Yaris has VVT then it may be an oil pressure issue, I think (maybe wrongly) the VVT system uses oil pressure to make its adjustments. Maybe a non-return filter may help.
You are correct about oil pressure, I've had a few Toyota VVTI motors apart before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
dremd - you may be right. A lot of VRS owners have put down turbo failure to not allowing the turbo to cool - kind of you hammer down the motorway at 70-90, stop for a pee and shut the engine off in the rest area / services straight away. Do it enough times and the oil in the turbo stays there happily cooking.

Not sure about coking, the issue reported is that the seals start to fail rather allowing oil into the turbo and lots of blue smoke, rather than the bearings failing which would be poor oil supply due to it coking.

Of course I could be wrong too. I feed mine the VW spec 505.x (I think thats the spec) synthetic oil and at the moment it uses non between changes which is why my I looked elsewhere for my recent turbo smoke than worn parts. Luckily my gaffer tape / turbo boost pipe fix seems to have cured it.
To be honest, I forgot about turbo seals

Is your VRX a PD? I'm not up to date with Euro TDi years/ motors.

MY ALH TDI used just over 1 cup in the last 60,000 miles (last drain), I thought I was burning a little bit, but an astute friend noted that that is about the amount that I have sent off for sampling.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon