View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

Here is my first system failure, a cracked disk on the front passenger wheel after about 4 months and 6000 miles :

This was predictable to me because :

1 - It's that "brittle" polystyrene plastic.

2 - It's on a mold-seam, which I already worried would crack when I was drilling holes.

3 - The question mark is to show a little piece of door-edge-guard molding I put on the wheel to make it touch the wheel. There were originally 3, but two of them flew off. It is plausible that this plastic edge piece pushed on the side of the wheel cover and contributed to the failure.

The good news is I already had two more covers prepped and ready as backups. The new disk is already installed. In materials the loss is $2.50. In labor the loss is much greater, but still worth it to me because this is "hobby labor".

Another good thing is that it didn't have a catastrophic failure. It cracked, I saw it, and I could fix it at my liesure. I even drove on the freeway with the crack, so I know it was not in immediate danger of flying off.

I am considering sending an e-mail to the company that makes the dish and asking if they would be willing to make a batch using tougher plastic. Alternatively I could look for a restaurant supply shop and see what kind of pizza pans they offer.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society