View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
i don't have AC so i'm committed to the blower. i usually crank the rear windows slightly and when i start run the blower full blast, so as to force all the hot air out of the car.

with the rear windows only a an inch or two open the blower creates a noticable pressure increase in the car, and as hot air rises this should be the first air to go out the window. then i set it to a more moderate level, and at stops or in crawl traffic i open the front windows full.

i think because of the A pillar vortex i think it's aerodynamically better to crank the rear window vs the front, also because air is blown in from the front to it makes sense to evacuate it as far back as possible.

perhaps slightly off topic, but usefull in the bigger picture as a fuel saving measure is to make a habit of shielding the windows from the outside with reflective window covers... these usually have two wings you clamp between the doors so they don't fly off, and should prevent the car from heating up when parked... or choose tinted windows or apply (partial) film

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*