View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #421 (permalink)
Oer Al
EcoModding Lurker

Have you considered building a battery rejuvinator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
The baffling mystery of lead/acid continues: every day I seem to have a slightly higher voltage when I get home. I'm up to 74.2 v as of today.
That is not that strange: the batteries are regaining some of their capacity because they are being used regularly after having been in storage for who knows how long. Some of the lead sulfate which was clogging up the plates has fallen off, increasing the available active plate area and with that the capacity.

Reading this thread from the beginning and only still being halfway I don't know if this will come up but... have you considered adding a battery rejuvinator/desulfator to your batteries? Those things are easy to build and seem to work - especially on older, partly sulfated batteries. Like yours...

There's plenty of schematics for these things on the intertubes. Not having built one myself I can not verify the claims of efficacy but since the operating principle - high-current pulse to dislodge lead sulfate from plate - seems plausible I'd consider making one if I have the need. You can scrounge most of the required parts from discarded electronics. Dead computer power supplies are a good source for the required ferrite cores.