View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Another point is that fuel injection can be shut off for downshifting, and this saves fuel. The mixture can be adjusted for elevation/atmosphere pressure change. The mixture can be adjusted for air/engine/exhaust temperature. What about detonation? What about tuneups? Most modern cars can go 100,000 miles without a tuneup. It doesn't really matter how dirty the air filter gets (within reason).

I can tell when I'm driving behind an old car, without even seeing it -- the smell of raw gas/rich exhaust is pretty obvious on lots of old cars. Most of these around here anyway, are very well maintained/fully restored "classic" cars, so it isn't that. Most carbureted cars are not designed for economy/efficiency -- gas was 29 cents for about 25 years, right?

The last carbureted car that I owned was a 1970 Volvo (twin Strombergs) and by the end of the car's life, it was burning up the paper air filters (by backfiring) and I never heard it. It had a manual choke, that you had to learn how to use.

The next car I owned was a 1987 VW Golf, which had EFI. The engine was virtually flawless, and lasted a lot longer than the Volvo.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/