View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
trevorx3
EcoModding Lurker

Question 92/96 Geo Metro Engine Swap ponderings

My dad has 2 Geo Metros. One a 92 and the other is a 96. The 92 has the smaller engine and gets him 45-50mpg using absolutely zero hypermiling techniques. He does drive rather efficiently, however (mostly referring to his coasting into stops/towns). The 96 has the 1.3liter engine and gets between 38-45mpg. I'm in the process of trying some medium level hypermiling on the 96 at the moment. Haven't filled it yet and am still waiting for the average tank mpg.

Anyway, my question. I've heard alot about the lean-burn systems in Honda Civics. Would it be a good idea to swap a D15Z1 engine into the 96? I have no experience with mechanical workings, but my dad has a ton so he'd be able to handle swapping no problem. Is it even possible to put a D15Z1 into a Metro?

Good/bad idea? I've seen a few D15Z1 for around $300-1000 from tuners who throw them out.

EDIT:
My dad would probably give me one, if I really wanted. I currently have a 98 v6 mustang auto that gets 30mpg from moderately hypermiling it. Before, I was only getting 20-21mpg without hypermiling. I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the Stang completely and going with just a Metro.

Last edited by trevorx3; 06-09-2010 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: added info