View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
analogguy
EcoModding Lurker

Saturn III - '95 Saturn SL1
90 day: 38.93 mpg (US)
Hello from Berkeley!

I found ecomodder.com after PowerHaus930's introduction post came up on Google. I have a 95 Saturn SL1 5-speed as well. I love Saturns very much (this is my third) and I've always loved the mileage they get. I had no idea whatsoever what they were capable of until I found ecomodder.com.

I was getting between 29-34 MPG out of my Saturn, depending on the kind of driving I was doing before. Since I found ecomodder.com and did the hypermiling techniques I felt comfortable doing (namely getting into high gear quickly, driving with load, going slower on the freeway, and using my brakes less) I got 39 MPG on my last tank. That is the highest mileage I ever got! Thanks guys! You saved me $6 of gas in two weeks!

I do have a couple of questions to get started:

Is there a how-to on how to install the HAI for a Saturn? I'd like to have a go at that and report back, since I read Saturns respond well to it.

Is coasting in neutral that much better than coasting in, say, 5th gear? It's against the law to coast in neutral here in California. Does it make that much difference?

What is the down side of increasing the air pressure in my tires? Can I cause them to blow out? My tires say max PSI is 30 lbs/sq-in for the front and 28 for the back. Is it dangerous to exceed this?

I'm happy to find such a conscious and friendly community. Hope I can save some gas!

Carl