View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have to tell you, I was coasting in neutral with my SHO and found that first of all, it didn't save me enough to do it! I drove thru two tanks of gas, one hypermiling with coasting in neutral and the other with coasting in drive and found that there was such a little difference it wasn't worth it to me. The thought of breaking that POS trans that cost about $2000 made me stop doing it.

In my car that I am building it has a manual transmission and I will be coasting in neutral or with the clutch despressed. But with my SHO, I decided the gain wasn't worth the chance of damaging the tranny.

Brian
We had this same discussion in another thread and it's good to see that I'm not the only one advising against it. The potentially damaging action comes not from coasting in neutral, but from when you shift it back into drive. I recently stopped by my local Aamco shop and asked this specific question. They told me the same: don't do it.

What you can do safely however is to coast in neutral to a stop, as when you are approaching a stop sign. On local streets in neighborhoods that have a stop sign at every corner this can increase FE. As long as the vehicle speed is zero (or at least under 10 mph) the A/T will go into first gear when you shift back into drive and it won't harm anything.