View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
PowerHaus930
EcoModding Lurker

95 SL1 5spd - '95 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.18 mpg (US)
For the HAI i removed the resonator from the stock airbox then removed lid to airbox and there was an intake tube in there. If you look at the box from the front of the car on the lower right is where the IAT sensor is. I took the IAT sensor out removed the intake tube and enlarged the hole on the left side of the airbox that the resonator went to. I then cut off the flared piece of the intake tube where the IAT sensor was bolted and flipped it around and stuck it inside the airbox and out through the larger opening i made from where the resonator was. I then went to Home Depot to the HVAC section where they have flexible dryer hose and that kind of stuff and i got a 3" adjustable aluminum 90 degree elbow and attached it to the intake tube coming from the airbox with a hose clamp and got it as close to the exhaust manifold as possible. I ended up having to use a piece of aluminum from a throw-away roasting pan so i could extend the pipe a little to the exhaust manifold. Its not pretty but it works and it keeps my IATs around 145*-155*. As far as the other mods the tire pressure and the engine cut-off switch i ended up doing things so fast that i wasnt able to measure the gain or loss. I have been continually been adjusting my driving style and I feel like i'm close to finding out what works best for me. Once my driving becomes consistent i will most likely do tests for each individual modification to see if it helps or hurts. But for now i'm consistently getting 40 mpg with mixed highway and city driving, windows down, and some AC. I will try to get pics of the HAI tomorrow.