View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
...I am curious about what methods you're using to keep your tail extension straight and true to the equations you developed. I've been using cardboard templates, but I'm not satisfied that I can align them accurately enough....
A little more incentive for adding a tail...

I used a cheap and old CAD program to layout the shape of a template that has the curvature of the side skirts to the tail.

It turns out that the template shape can be estimated by drawing a straight line, then indenting the line by 5/8" in the middle to form an ellipse.

This elliptical shape was then transferred to a large piece of foam, to form the template.

The foam dimensions are:

2" x 8" x 42"

The template is cut with a hacksaw blade, then sanded smooth so it "looks" consistent in curvature.

I have yet to layout and make a template for the curvature from the top of the glass to the tail.

This is a picture of the tail light socket. It shows what we have to work with regarding sheet metal.

This is a view showing where the trunk lid stops are. When the rear plastic bumper shroud comes, these stops will need to be replicated.

A wood block is being fashioned using a hacksaw blade into the compound shape required to fit against the sheet metal of the light socket.

The wood blocks are fitted tightly against the shape of the socket sheet metal.

Thickened epoxy resin was added to the wood pieces to mimic the exact shape of the sheet metal. Grease was used as a mold release to get the pieces back off after hardening.

The reason for the tight fit on the sheet metal will be apparent later on...

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4048a.JPG
Views:	16930
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	6162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4049a.JPG
Views:	16846
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	6163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4050a.JPG
Views:	16877
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	6164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4051a.JPG
Views:	16747
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	6165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas-Price.jpg
Views:	15777
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	7959  

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 03-17-2011 at 01:52 PM..