View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
steffen707
Master EcoModder

So at first it was stated that heavier is better, then there must be a formula that calculates the proper weight, was the 'correct answer"

There must be a reason why auto makers don't use 100lb flywheels to gain mpg, because then the prius, insight, ect. ect. would have them.

I too believe there's some kind of formula based on the part's relationships to determine best weight. Again i asked earlier, is that 4, 7, 10, 17, 30 lbs? I don't know and neither do you, or you would have said what the formula is. Which is fine, i wouldn't expect somebody to know what this formula is. Maybe honda civics 16.6 lb flywheel is the optimal weight for mpg, or maybe it is lighter, but they felt that this gives the best overall driveability?

Your slew of questions are all very good ones and i'm sure some of their answers may help to learn the overall picture of flywheels relationship to mpg, but......

I'm gunna wait for apples to apples info or until i'm ready to swap the vx motor into my 97 civic hatch and i end up doing the test myself.

Last edited by steffen707; 06-11-2010 at 11:56 PM..