View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
usergone
I have to start over?

Big inefficient truck - '94 Dodge Ram 2500
90 day: 12.1 mpg (US)

Honda Civic - '84 Honda Civic DX Hatchback
Today I tried something similar to the speedometer switch. I put a bead of jb-weld on the part of the rear end that bolts onto the drive shaft, and put a roller micro switch on that, so as the bead passed by, it would click over.

Once I finally got it configured and adjusted, I went and tested it with the MPGuino. It seemed to work, but it was not giving linear readings. Yeah, not linear. It would either read fine at low speeds (20 MPH) and too fast at higher (45, the guino said 70), or it would read slow at slow speeds (20, but read 13), and fine at 45.

Needless to say, I think I will abandon high speed micro switches

This is looking interesting again. First, it is cheap. Second, it is meant for sensing speed, and third, it is magnetic and should hopefully be more reliable than mechanical or visual switches.

I'm sure someone could tell me how to implement it with all our honda people
Does that work with a magnet or lump of ferrous material? What is the pinout? Posative, ground, and VSS?

That would be great

Edit: Oh, dcb, I just looked at the thing in post 25 again, is that the same thing I am pointing to on eBay? If that is the case, I could point it to a part on the driveshaft (I have aluminum wheels)

Last edited by usergone; 06-12-2010 at 09:27 PM..