View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Okay, I'll blab.

I spotted a 2000 Insight for sale (124000mi, pretty good condition, some dings and scratches as you'd expect), 400 miles away, at an irresistable price. The car has a bad IMA battery, which is good news. I can rebuild IMA batteries, and I have a rebuilt one right here on the shelf.

I've made a tentative offer to buy at a good price, which has been accepted. However, the seller has another buyer lined up (for $200 more) if I back down.

Here's the problems:

1. My cost to acquire the vehicle, including insurance, fees, and taxes, etc. is $1000, on top of the purchase price.
2. The vehicle has an out of state Salvage title from a collision in 2008, so the State of New York will dig its heels in for a few months before issuing me a title and plates.
3. What would I do with two Insights? Don't say EV conversion! I'd sooner do a PHEV conversion to my current Insight. Therefore, one of these Insights would be for sale. And nobody wants to buy my aeromodded, several-times-crashed, low mileage Insight, right?
4. I could make a litlle money by flipping the car, and the process would be enjoyable to me... but see #1.

Before I did the math on my cost of acquisition, I was very excited about this. Now, I'm not so sure.

What should I do?