View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
groar
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
2. If there are any hills of any degree, it is virtually impossible to maintain a constant 55 MPH and lean burn, therefore it seems that the best course would be to target a roundtrip average of 54 MPH, allowing a slight deterioration for the turn-around. This method would allow the speed to drift up and down by about 4-5 MPH while maintaining the 54 MPH trip average. I have been monitoring the trip average by use of a Scangauge.
In Scenic, which is showing real time fuel consumption, I can see that a very light change on the right foot can change the FE by 15% (10% is easy) and change the speed by only 1-2 mph. This is a technique I do use, noticeably on the highway or whenever I'm at a too high speed to pulse & coast.

If I had a cruise control and a real time fuel consumption in Megane then I would use them to test my mods. Currently I'm using Coast Down Testing but I can see that another car or a light change in the slope can influence the deceleration. I have the feeling that the effect is higher on the FE.

Denis.

PS Anyway, what ever the method used, I wish you good results. I'm often frustrated to not be able to tell by how much each mod is improving my car as I have more and more the feeling that my butt-o-meter tells me what I want to hear. Being able to reply to other people with numbers (other than consumption in daily commutes) is also important.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.