View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
jime57
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
After spending many hours analyzing the data, the numbers are still revealing their secrets!!

I have a ways to go before making any concrete conclusions however.

Regarding baseline runs, I would follow Metro's lead and simply drive at a constant speed, and simply monitor the fuel used over a stretch of road, just like Metro did when he extended his tail.

Driving to a constant MPG does work, but since the air velocity changes, comparing apples to oranges is harder when trying to figure out how much better the aero tweak worked out.

Jim.
I'm wondering is you see any convergence of the data toward the magic .25 Cd that the basic car is supposed to deliver

I think that Metro has an easier problem of it. He doesn't need to deal with lean burn. As you know, lean burn is vastly more efficient than regular burn. It seems to me that one must decide on either very fast testing with no lean burn, or slow enough testing to maintain lean burn. A mix of the two is thoroughly random and unperdictable. That is the basic reason I argued for an average speed for the test trip. I have done a bit of testing of testing just so I would have some confidence in my results. I'll analogize a bit. If one makes length measurements with a tape measure which can stretch a bit, of what value is the data???? I do plan to run some tests at 60 MPH ave. just to see if I can maintain lean burn. I think I can.