View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #175 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
I have used pipe insulation for filling and sealing the space between the cab and the topper on all three trucks I've owned, a total of 18 years of experience doing this. The kind I use is the foam rubber type. I haven't tried the type that is made with the same material as pool noodles. The foam rubber type seems to me to be more flexible and better at filling voids and sealing.

Last week I tried using this same pipe insulation to fill the gap between my bumper and my grill on my 2010 Ford Ranger. So far it seems to be staying in place. I don't drive regular enough routes to make it easy to tell if it has helped my fuel economy, though I have been averaging about 32 mpg on this tank, according to Scangauge, with 38 mpg being typical on the highway. The truck is still pretty new (bought April 21), so I'm still establishing its baseline performance.

I also use a product called Trimlock to seal between the cab and topper. I use a double seal to keep bugs and rain out, since I frequently camp in my topper. The Trimlock I use is a "C" shaped aluminum strip, covered with plastic, that has a rubber tube attached to the aluminum strip on the side opposite the opening of the "C." I'll take a picture of it and post it in the next couple days when there is daylight (it's dark now), assuming I'm allowed to post pictures. The Trimlock costs about $1.50 per running foot.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
The Following User Says Thank You to sid For This Useful Post:
slowmover (06-17-2010)