View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #39 (permalink)
mopo3
Oil Tycoon

Siray - '09 Toyota Yaris sedan
90 day: 39.41 mpg (US)
mols are used by scientist and engineers, maybe others too(a mol is 6.02x10^23 atoms or molecules). I did the conversions in plain sight as best I could and I later posted a link to an excel sheet that will do the calculations for you (I left it as an .xls file so you could open it with either microsoft office or open office). If you work with a lot of equations with differing units trust me it sometimes is easier to just convert to the metrics, though it could be done in made-up units if you knew the conversions.

I also stated my assumed 100% heat transfer which to get close to would require quite a large heat exchanger (I work at an oil refinery, we have a lot of these that are bigger than mack trucks). I also assumed that the flow in is the same as out but since the water in the shower is hot and cold mixed to get a comfortable temp then you would have more later on the hot side than cold going to the water heater. (i.e. I neglected the mass term to simplify the equation).

Quote:
8.3 pounds of water per gallon x 2½ GPM max x 60° x 60 minutes = 75 MBH
MBH = thousand BTUs per Hour?

Does this include waters heat capacity? that is the Cp. I don't know what that is in standard units, but I could have converted it from metric.

I don't mean to lose it, but it is hard to read something and get how someone is saying it sometimes, I'm not so good at that. I think simple calcs are great and I use them all the time, but this website is very much about hard numbers when possible