View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #28 (permalink)
rob_fed
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
starter motors are designed to only run for a few hours total in their life and only for up to 10 seconds at a time or they tend to overheat, look at the size of them, they are around 2 horse power and the size of a quart jar, the 2 horse power continues use motor that is in my garage is about the size of a water melon.
starter motors also tend to have very small soft copper brushes, instead of the larger carbon brushes, they can handle more current but they tend to wear really fast, but if the motor only needs to last a few hours then that's ok.
I made this in 1999: "www".evalbum.com/251

For the most part, when a gear reduction starter motor is designed for intermittent use, not continuous duty. But a GR motor can be modified to allow for more continuous use. My nephew rode this go cart for over an hour, the motor was hot and the 90amp Hawker battery was down to 10.5 volts. But with many, many hours of use, I never have had to change any of the brushes (incidentally, most starter motor brushes are carbon based). Also, this motor was not brand new to start with, it was 15 years old from the auto wrecking yard.