View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFM8 View Post
Is it just large pickups and SUVs that come with belt-driven fans anymore? I'm wondering why this design hasn't been phased out, since the electric just makes more sense. I suppose this can be likened to air-cooled vs. water-cooled motorcycle designs.

In the case your car came with an engine-propelled fan, I do think the electrical replace would help.
They have the mechanical driven fan because it's more efficient if the fan is running most of the time, like in a truck! trucks are designed to be under load, as I said before, it's less efficient to convert mechanical to electrical and back to mechanical if it's going to be running 80% of the time that the vehicle is running, my cars fan rarely comes on, the fan on the truck at work is almost always on, why? because it's a truck, and is normally hauling a 5,000+ pound trailer.

If you are using the truck as a sales vehicle, or to tote the kids around, then yes, go with an electric fan, if you use it for it's intended perpus, then stick with the direct drive fan.