Thread: 1925 bike
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
human power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
In my biking days I could maintain 30-35 mph on a normal bike on a flat area. If I had a recumbent bicycle, I bet I could have gotten to 35-45 on a flat due to being able to use all the strength in my legs rather than just the amount of weight I carried in my caboose (not much) Back then I could leg press 700 lbs with both legs. With a recumbent that would be 350 lbs pressing the pedals, vs the 150 I weighed.

Most bicycles are ridiculously non aerodynamic. That guy that got 250 mpg from his honda scooter added weight with the fairings, but they paid off. Can't see why it wouldn't be the same with human power.
The T-100 has been dead for a couple weeks now( faulty pulse generator inside distributor.It's fixed now,pick it up Monday) and I've been commuting the 14-mile roundtrip by mountain bike when I visit EcoModder.
Today,and last Saturday we've had a south wind and it essentially cancels 'downhill'.
You can really sense the high drag on a bike,and the whole way here I was fantasizing about a fully enclosed recumbent like Vector/Varna of something of that nature.