Thread: SG2 vs TDI
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
ChrstphrR
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Might want to check with the folks on TDIclub on that, since you've a newer generation of TDI, going onto the newest.

MkIV TDI (ALH) engines like mine don't seem to correlate their figures quite right to actual mileage. Or at least, I've found that you can get mileage to match, but then not the distance versus the odometer.

Another caveat, which the folks at TDIclub would be more apt to answer in greater detail: The newer instrument clusters are capable of displaying all sorts of information, but aren't as easily programmed so by the everyday driver, versus a Scanguage.

So, given those two caveats, you'll have consider your choice.

Myself, I live with a reasonably corrected mileage number from the SG2, and tolerate that the distance travelled is far under what the odometer measures. For me and my TDI, the SG2 is worth it for the extras like GPH, checking temperatures, voltages, etc.

And it helped me raise up my mileage considerably (10-20%) just by getting instantaneous feedback on the rate fuel is burned. After almost 2 years with mine plugged in, I have paid for it with the fuel saved.
Arragonis (06-21-2010)