View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks everyone. Pictures will take awhile but I will see what I can do with my finance's digital cameral when she feels better and can get over here. However I will try to get some diagrams up before next week.

I did the height and width streamlined template calculations for the mid point in the right and left arcs which have a 29" radius. Since the width and heigth (the Diameters or "Ds") in the calculations are shorter than those of the trailer, they allow for tapering back faster than those of the trailer itself thus perhaps allowing for greater attachment of flow since they will be tapering at a more gentle slope than called for as they will be tapering along with the small horizontal section of the top and the 24" vertical sides. Don't know if this is an accurate way to consider their ideal taper, but it was the only one I could calculate and it made me feel a bit better.

Here is what is already done:
1. I am completing the third of the four internal frames to which the sandwiched panels will be attached. It will be mounted 36" behind the frame at D, the highest, widest part of the trailer. The only one remaining is the back frame where the door will be.
2. The right side of the 24 inch verticle side is complete from where the rounded nose of the V will be placed to about 2/3rds of the way to the back of the trailer. The left side of the 24" side is complete from a small door toward the nose of the trailer to 2/3rds of the way back.

The trailer will be about thirteen inches higher and wider than the Subaru WRX Wagon. This is so that it can be converted to a solid pop up travel trailer later and because of the width of the axle, and because I need the space.

The nose out side of the air flow coming off the top and sides of the wagon has not been completed. One of the reasons for the V nose was to be able to more easily enclose the gap between the wagon and the trailer with transition panels that would slide along the top and sides of the trailer.

Quote:
The V-nose is actually 'inferior' aerodynamically than say a 'NoseCone '-style radiused leading edge.
Actually a "NoseCone" style nose was what I had planned all along, but was trying to convene that I was enclosing the V part of the hitch.

Quote:
The blunt face with radiused side and top is better.
It may be too late for this, but perhaps I can approximate it.

Its late, will be pretty busy with other matters for a few days and then will continue when able with the diagrams. Thanks again everyone.