View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #150 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Sure enough, I had the hood latch adjusted as high up as it would go. On my way out the door this morning, I moved it a quarter inch downward. The latch can go lower, and I will also have to move the catch upward.

Formula413: it is a salvage car, but the problem is I'm using parts from a car that was in a low-speed frontal collision to repair a car that was in two such collisions. But you're right. I need to *eliminate* that hood gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Looking much much better "Robert", it looks like some kind of cool alien now rather than a lumpy zombie. Not that I care much about looks, but I'm willing to give people an objective opinion. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, Will. I think the car is going to need a new name soon, and I'm open to suggestions. But maybe that should wait until I make up my mind on the boat-tail.

I drove 65mi to Rochester today. On the way there, I took the back roads. I took the interstate on the way back. My target speed was 73mph, but I'd go as slow as 70mph if it would allow lean burn. I spent a lot of time in lean burn, and I was impressed with the results. 78°F ambient, winds are calm.

50mph back roads: 91.1mpg for 55.1mi - 0.605gal in 82min
72mph interstate: 62.7mpg for 56.6mi - 0.903gal in 48min

One of these routes is better than the other for me. 0.3 gallons of gas and $2 in tolls versus 34 minutes of my time.

These routes are not door-to-door. It's only the steady-state cruising stuff. Time in transit includes tollbooths in one case and towns in the other.