View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
The now discontinued Daewoo Tico (Fina) weighed 690kg. So did the Fiat Cinquecento, but its successor, the Seicento, weighed about 50kg more.

The 3L version of the VW Lupo was an attempt at weight reduction, using light metals and other tricks to reduce the weight from 890-980kg to 830kg.

There is a B1 class of driver's license here, which allows 16 year olds to drive vehicles () weighing less than 550kg. This pretty much narrows it down to atv's, but I've seen ads for companies that reduce the weight of any car weighing less than 950kg, down to 550kg. The price is around 2000PLN (~US$650) to get a car registered as a 2-seater, more for a 4-seater, weighing less than 550kg. Makes me wonder... I haven't found what exactly is done, no first hand accounts on any forums, but the guesses are:
  • Rear seat and seatbelt removal,
  • Carpet removal,
  • Spare tire removal,
  • Composit hood.
The price is too low for aluminum wheels or more drastic changes.
From the discussions I've seen, that list may barely be enough to lighten a Tico, but won't get a 900kg car to lose 350kg.

(If this is too far off topic please let me know.)

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread