View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 04:10 AM   #155 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
The following topic has a BSFC map for the Mercedes Benz OM617 5 cylinder turbodiesel engine used in the 300 SD, along with a lot of other relavent graphs:

OM617 SAE Paper

I saved a copy and am posting it here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	om617a-bsfc.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	6216

I do believe the OM617 is the 2nd sturdiest engine ever put in a passenger car sold in the U.S. The OM617 can repeatedly and regularly last 500,000+ miles before a rebuild, provided you do regular maintenance. Some examples had been run with no oil(not low oil, no oil) and have lasted 20,000+ miles operating in those conditions. The show LeMons once had a segment where a crowd gathered around a clunking 617 and tried to get it to sieze up while running; they poured liquid sement, rocks, milk, and other things into the engine to try to seize it, and it kept on clunking... The #1 place goes to the 4 cyl used in the 240D, which can reliably rack up more than 1 million miles before a rebuild. The engine used in my 300 SDL is very well built, but its reliability just doesn't compare with the 5 cyl.

That said, for such a tank-like engine, the efficiency is not that bad, either. The C111-III streamliner used this engine, but with a larger turbo. The stock internals of the 617 engine can reliably handle 400 horsepower, although the C111-III was a bit conservative with the upgrades.