View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxchain View Post
Interesting about the motor keeping the flywheel topped up. I wonder how much energy would be lost while sitting at a stoplight...
Depending on the bearings, I'd bet a pretty marginal amount. That just went in line with my inertia starter idea: a small-diameter flywheel (i.e. low stored energy) and small motors already in place for initial spin-up/engine starting.

Just thinking about the inline case, how would the flywheel be supported? I suppose it could freewheel on an axle passing through the transmission and engine. Don't clutches completely decouple the engine and transmission? I suppose I should look that up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
What is P&G?
P&G stands for "Pulse and Glide"...a technique pioneered on hybrids. It works best on cars whose engines can easily be killed (hybrids, manuals). Automatics have a tougher time because shift points can't be controlled, torque converter losses are high, and the engine can't be placed into neutral/killed easily.

Since engines operate most efficiently near peak torque, the pulse is a quick acceleration up to about 10mph above the desired cruising speed. Immediately, the engine is either killed (ideally), the car put into neutral (ideally), or simply allowed to coast with the engine on. The coast lasts until the car is about 10mph below the desire cruising speed, where the engine is bump started and the "pulse" cycle starts again. This pattern repeats indefinately.

If done correctly, you can see huge gains. I don't know exact numbers, but I would expect a 10%+ increase in fuel economy.

- LostCause

Last edited by LostCause; 04-05-2008 at 05:40 PM..