View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
sl2eggplant
Aspiring EcoModder

Eggy - '99 Saturn SL2
90 day: 43.7 mpg (US)
Thanks for the responses so far.

One of my first mods was installing a WAI/HAI. I did get some improvement, maybe 2 - 3 mpg or 6 - 10%. Right now, I'm trying to test various temperature ranges to see what is the best warmest temp I can use. 200 F is okay but it drives with a delayed response. I"m trying to "cool" the temps a bit by relocating my dryer hose to see if I can get most of the gains and return some of the responsiveness.

DCB, I don't have enough "brownie points" with the wife to buy another car or do another major overhaul that takes up the garage for a couple of weeks. I'm saving what little points I have to buy a good, used fixer up truck or minivan. Besides, I don't think I will ever drive a manual b/c never did and its such a big change. I had leased a 2008 Jeep Patriot and tried but didn't like shifting using the autostick.

Off topic, but the car has the original transmission and 2nd engine (same year though). I'm on track to hit 200,000 miles in a week and half. That requires a celebration of an oil and transmission fluid change, and a car wash for such good service.