View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
sl2eggplant
Aspiring EcoModder

Eggy - '99 Saturn SL2
90 day: 43.7 mpg (US)
Thanks Aerohead. I think my 45 mpg SUMMER TIME goal for a 64 mile daily drive (58 highway, 6 city) is doable. A few Saturn SL2 (SOHC, allbeit manuals can get as high as 50+). Before all mods, I was running 40 mpg for an ideal 100% highway road trip.

There are few inefficiencies that are keeping me down, most unrelated to aerodynamics
- My own personal driving habits need to change (currently driving 65-75 mph to keep with traffic)
- Tires probably are on the higher end of the rolling resistance curve, maybe the set of OEM firestone tires sitting in the basement will help.
- My drum brakes are dragging a bit because I am trying to break in the brake shoes
- Future weight reduction include removing all AC parts and carpeting, depending on my mpg performance
- Still have to improve the "nose" (front bumper and headlight area) for the Saturn, its very drafty. Thinking of extending the nose out some 3" to make it pointier
- I would be willing to do a mini boat tail by extend the bumper out about some 3". I was thinking of laying a PVC pipe parallel the rear bumper and taping it so the bumper is extended out as far as the diameter of the pipe
- Planning to switch to synthetic oil once I reach 200k miles in 2 weeks
- Planning a second drain and fill on the tranny to effectively remove 92% of the old fluid and replacing with Valvoline Maxlife (meets the Dexron 6 spec)