View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
XJguy
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett_Racing View Post
They are quite restrictive, its why we want to make the absolute best we can with this body.

Oh I know I have read it on this forum, thanks.

Ok another way were aiming to help our elapsed time and mph is weight, were on a mission to lighten the car as much as we can.

Thanks for all replies, please keep suggestions coming.

Also just read about this too...worth doing?

Rear corner airflow trip feature - permalink

Airflow along the side of a vehicle tends to follow the curvature of the tail lights and bumper part way around to the rear of the car, which can cause more drag than a sharp corner "crease" that promotes clean separation at the trailing edge.

GM designers integrated such a crease at the rear of the Chevy Volt "production" concept, a feature that could be retrofitted onto existing vehicles.

Examples \ Info \ Threads:
Correct....in fact in the Hybrid version of the GMC Yukon, you will see that it uses extensions on the rear pillar and sharper profiled tail lamps to promote clean separation.....its a slight difference that the casual observer may not even notice. The regular Yukon is rounder.

But don't forget in your application you have vents/flaps where the tail lights normally are that feeds air into where the potential turbulent wake would be.....so I don't think its really an issue for you....again this can be tested using tufts.

It really is too bad that they don't allow for smooth under-bodies and rear diffusers...you would have a venerable guided missile if they did.

Last edited by XJguy; 06-24-2010 at 09:10 PM..